Think Google Data Studio 360 only supports Google Analytics and AdWords? Think twice!
Google recently released a really cool dashboarding tool called Google Data Studio, which lets you easily gather all of your marketing data into one place and build great-looking, interactive dashboards (see for example this web analytics dashboard). It’s a major step forward from the old Google Analytics dashboards, and a game changer for PPC marketers. There’s a free version called Google Data Studio, which lets you create up to five reports, and a paid version called Google Data Studio 360, which is part of the Google Analytics 360 Suite (formerly Google Analytics Premium).
Google Data Studio has built-in connectors to a few Google data sources (Google Analytics, AdWords, YouTube, BigQuery, Attribution 360). Today, expanding PPC campaigns beyond AdWords is mandatory to stay competitive, and most marketers actively use other PPC channels such as Facebook Ads, Bing Ads and Twitter Ads. These non-Google channels are not supported by Data Studio. But no worries, Supermetrics has a solution for you!
Supermetrics empowers Google Data Studio to its full potential. With the Supermetrics Google Sheets add-on, you can easily add many more sources to Google Data Studio, including Bing, Facebook, Twitter, MailChimp, SEMrush, Moz and even Adobe SiteCatalyst. Just follow these steps (also outlined in the video above):
2. If you don’t have the Supermetrics add-on, install it from the menu bar Add-ons: Get add-ons, or using this link.
3. Launch Supermetrics and run a query for the data you want.
5. Go to DATA SOURCES and click the plus button in the lower-right corner
6. From connectors, select Google Sheets and the file you just created, click CONNECT
7. Next, Google shows you a list of fields imported from Google Sheets. Click CREATE REPORT, and in the next window, ADD TO REPORT.
8. You now have a blank report where you can start working with the data. Try adding a table or a chart.
9. In Google Sheets, you can set the Supermetrics queries to refresh automatically every day, so your Data Studio report will always have the latest data. Go to Add-ons: Supermetrics: Schedule refresh & emailing.
You can add multiple Google Sheets connectors to the same Data Studio report, to fetch data from different sources or with different metrics & dimensions.
As you see, Supermetrics and Google Data Studio are a great combo! In the future, we hope to integrate more deeply with Data Studio, so you wouldn’t even need to have Google Sheets in between.
We hope you found this tutorial handy. If so, please tweet it!