Support - Supermetrics Data Grabber
Here you can find support on using Supermetrics Data Grabber. In case your question isn't covered here, please visit our support forum (You can search the forum for answers, send us a private ticket, or create a public forum post).
When opening the tool for the first time, press the button to log in to Google Analytics. The tool will fetch a list of your Google Analytics accounts and profiles.
To run your first report, follow these three steps:
- Choose some profiles for your report by clicking the profile name, or by typing anything to the column to the left of the account name. The selected profiles will change their colour.
- Choose one or more metrics using the drop down menus. You can also choose to split the data rather than just fetch the aggregate figures. For example, to get the report similar to the one on the right, choose "Visits" as the metric, "Source" from the upper Split by, and "Month" from the lower Split by.
- Press the "Run the report" button. The tool will then run the query and display the results in a new sheet.
This is just a very simple example. The power of Supermetrics Data Grabber is in its flexibility: you can freely select which metrics you wish to see in your reports, and how to split them. You are not restricted to a set of predefined dashboards. You can create a set of reports, each in its own worksheet, and update them for example every week or month, or even daily - this can greatly reduce the amount of time needed for regular reporting.
Frequently Asked Questions
To use Supermetrics Data Grabber, you need to allow the execution of VBA macros in Excel. If the login buttons don't work, this indicates that you need to change Excel's settings. How to do this depends on your Excel version:
In Windows Excel 2007 and newer, when opening the file, check if you see the kind of warning on the right. If so, click the button. If a pop-up window opens, choose to trust the MT Analytics certificate.
You can also enable macros by going to Excel Options: Trust Center: Trust Center Settings: Macro Settings. Then select the last or the second last option, and restart Excel. When reopening Supermetrics Data Grabber, accept certificate by MT Analytics if prompted.
In Windows Excel 2003, go to Tools: Macros: Security. Select "High", "Medium" or "Low". Restart Excel. Click "Enable macros" if prompted.
In Mac Excel 2011, you need to click "Enable macros" when opening the workbook
Note that Supermetrics Data Grabber does not work in Mac Excel versions older than 2011, or Windows Excel versions older than 2003.
When I open the file, Excel shows an error message describing unreadable content, and notifies that is has removed Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). None of the buttons work.
This error is caused by not having the VBA macro language installed along with MS Office.
To solve this you need to change your installation of MS Office.
- Close Excel if it is open.
- In the Windows Control Panel choose "Add or Remove Programs" (or Programs and Features in Windows Vista or Windows 7).
- Select Microsoft Office in the list and click on the Change button.
- Choose "add or remove features"
- Select "Visual Basic for Applications" in the "Office Shared Features" list and set it to "Run from My Computer". Then click on the continue button.
- After the installation is finished you will be able to use Supermetrics Data Grabber when you start Excel.
I've purchased a license, but when logging in, I get an error saying my trial period has expired.
Can I change the user ID associated with my license?
You may have to change your Google Account settings to be able to log in to the GWT Module. Do either of the following:
- Go to https://www.google.com/
settings/security -> "Access for less secure apps" -> set to Enabled -> Log in to SM Data Grabber with your regular Google Account credentials
- Go to https://www.google.com/
settings/security -> complete the "2-Step Verification" setup -> create an app-specific password at https://security.google.com/ settings/security/apppasswords -> Log in to SM Data Grabber with your Google Account email and the app-specific password
How do I refresh a report to cover a new date range?
Reports that have been created with a dynamic date range (eg. last 7 days, year to date) automatically update the date range every time they are refreshed.
To change the date range for a report that has been created with a custom date range, go to the report sheet, change the date range, and press the Refresh button (see image below).
If you have lots of reports with a custom date range and want to change the dates for all of them, you can unhide the querystorage sheet and set the start and end dates there.
What are the definitions of the metrics and dimensions that Supermetrics Data Grabber makes available?
You can find the definitions here:
- Analytics: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets
- AdWords: http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/appendix/reports.html
- Facebook: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/api/insights/
- Twitter: https://dev.twitter.com/rest/reference/get/search/tweets
In addition, there are some metrics that we calculate in Supermetrics Data Grabber that are not listed in the API specifications.
How can I get separate metrics for paid and organic search traffic?
You should select "Medium" from the "Split by" dropdown menus (it's there under Traffic Source). Another option is to select the "Paid Search Traffic" and "Non-paid Search Traffic" segments into the report.
Can I include several advanced segments in the same report?
Yes, with the versions 1.63 and newer you can. In the Analytics sheet, click "Set up filters". In the window that opens, you can see a tab for Segments.
I see the option for comparing against the same period a year earlier, and against the previous period of the same length. What if I want to compare against some other date range?
This can be done by following these instructions:
- Select the report fields and set comparison to previous period of same length.
- Run the report.
- Unhide a worksheet called "querystorage". There you'll see the parameters for each of your existing reports. Find the column that contains the report you just ran.
- In the the querystorage sheet, in the row labeled "Comparison", you should see the value "previous". Change this value to "custom", and in the two rows below labeled "Comparison start date" and "Comparison end date", type the date range you wish to compare against. See image below:
- Go to the report and press the Refresh button. The figures will now be compared against the custom date range.
Can I modify the formatting of the charts created by Supermetrics Data Grabber?
Yes, the charts in the reports can be modified, and the modifications will remain when you refresh the reports.
How can I modify my existing reports? Is it possible to create or modify reports en masse?
Yes, unhide a worksheet called "querystorage". There you will find the parameters for all your existing reports. You can modify these parameters, and when you refresh the reports, they will be updated accordingly. You can also add new report definitions to the querystorage sheet, and create reports based on these using the buttons on that sheet.
Can I combine several reports into a single PowerPoint presentation?
Yes, after you have logged in, you can see a button on the Modules sheet for exporting all reports. After pressing this button, you will see a popup window where you can choose to export all reports into a single PPT.
How can I export reports to PDF?
PDF exporting is only available when using the tool with Windows Excel 2007 or newer. You can find it in when you press the "Export all reports" button.
Why do I see discrepancies between Supermetrics Data Grabber and the Google Analytics web interface?
While most of the time, Supermetrics Data Grabber matches exactly the figures that the Google Analytics web interface displays, sometimes there are discrepancies. There are two common reasons for these discrepancies:
- Google samples the results it delivers to Supermetrics Data Grabber. In some cases, Google uses sampling to calculate the results of queries, which can cause differences between Supermetrics Data Grabber and Analytics. The magnitude of the discrepancies is usually in the range of 1-4 %. Supermetrics Data Grabber displays a note in the reports where it sees that Google has used sampling. Sampling occurs most often in queries that include an advanced segment, or where the data is split by multiple dimensions. Supermetrics Data Grabber versions 1.68 and newer have a setting that can be used to reduce the likelihood of sampling occurring.
- The Google Analytics API and the Google Analytics web interface are not always totally in sync. Supermetrics Data Grabber relies on the Google Analytics API, which may in some cases deliver figures which differ from the Analytics web interface. Small differences can be seen every now and then, but sometimes bugs in Google's end cause major discrepancies. From our experience, bugs like this happen a few times a year. If you suspect something like this may be affecting your reports, there are a few places where you can investigate the issue:
- Analytics API discussion group. When people notice bugs, they are usually posted here:
- Analytics status dashboard. Here you can see the status of the Analytics API and other Analytics services, bugs may be shown here.
- Analytics API notify list. Serious issues may be posted here by Google.
- Analytics query explorer. This is Google's own API tool, which you can use to confirm the results showed by Supermetrics Data Grabber. If this tool agrees with Supermetrics Data Grabber and differs from the Analytics web interface, then it indicates a bug in Google's end. On the other hand, if Google's API tool and the Google Analytics web interface match, and Supermetrics Data Grabber shows something different, that indicates a problem in our end; in this case, please contact us immediately.
- Analytics API discussion group. When people notice bugs, they are usually posted here:
When you see a discrepancy, before notifying us of the issue, please follow these steps:
- Check if the report includes a note such as this: "This report contains sampled data (sampling done by Google)". If this is the case, and the discrepancy is just a few percent, then it's very likely caused by the data sampling. In Supermetrics Data Grabber v. 1.68 and newer, you can use a setting on the Analytics sheet to avoid sampling in most cases.
- Try to fetch the same data with Google's own API tool. If the results match Supermetrics Data Grabber's, then the issue is in Google's end and we can't fix it.
- Download the latest Supermetrics Data Grabber version. If the discrepancy is caused by a bug in Supermetrics Data Grabber, it may have been fixed already in the latest version.
Why don't the dropdown menus work when I use Supermetrics Data Grabber on my Mac? They close so quickly I can't select anything. / I can't scroll down to select all metrics.
In Mac Excel, to use the dropdown menus you need to hold down the mouse button, not just click it like usual. Also, due to a bug in Mac Excel, using the scroll bars in dropdown menus does not work properly. You can still select any metric/dimension, it's just more difficult to locate it. Microsoft will hopefully fix this soon.
Why does Supermetrics Data Grabber randomly crash on my Mac?
Unfortunately, Mac Excel 2011 is quite buggy, and running macros sometimes results in crashes. We have tried to address this issue, but due to the inherent instability of the platform, we can not fully resolve it. Microsoft will hopefully address the issue in future patches. Meanwhile, we suggest you save the file often, or if possible, use the tool on a PC, as it's very stable on Windows and faster too. Another option is to use Windows Excel on Mac running Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion or Boot Camp.
Often, the errors appear randomly and are not related to the type of report you run. In these cases, restarting Excel usually helps.
I have many computers where I would like to use Supermetrics Data Grabber. Do I need to buy several Supermetrics Data Grabber licenses?
No, you need just one license. Even if you buy just one license for Supermetrics Data Grabber, you can still use it on multiple machines. It can even be used on more than one machine simultaneously. The only restriction is for the login username/user ID you use when logging into the tool: with one license, you can only specify one username to be used with the tool.
Can I have more than one copy of the Supermetrics Data Grabber workbook?
Yes, you can make as many copies of the file as you need, we don't place any restrictions on that.
Do you access or use our data in any way?
What if I accidentally send my Supermetrics Data Grabber workbook to the wrong person, will they have access to my data?
To prevent situations like this, it's a good idea to protect the workbook with a password. If you have not protected the workbook and send it to the wrong person, what you should do depends on the modules you are using:
- Any data source using OAuth (=log in via a browser window, eg. Analytics, AdWords, Facebook & YouTube modules, Bing Ads Module when logging in with a Microsoft account): when logging out of these modules, you have the option to log out of all Supermetrics Data Grabber files. If you choose this, your authentication in all copies of Supermetrics Data Grabber will be revoked, and anyone wishing to fetch data will need to log in again.
- Doing the above will delete all authentication information from the Supermetrics side, but if you want to be extra careful, you can also remove Supermetrics Data Grabber's access rights in the app settings of the data source. For instance, Google and Facebook have account dashboards where you can check which applications have access to the account's data, and remove these permissions.
- Analytics Module in Supermetrics Data Grabber versions older than 1.38: change your Google Account password.
- AdWords Module in Supermetrics Data Grabber versions older than 1.65: change your Google Account password.
- Bing Ads Module/adCenter Module when logging in with a Bing Ads account: change your Bing Ads password.
Note that while following these instructions prevent the person from fetching new data and refreshing reports, the data in the reports that have already been created will still remain in the workbook.
How can I cancel my Supermetrics subscription?
Fastest way to find an answer is to use the Search Box.
If you cannot find any answers to your issue, you can either send us a private ticket or create a public forum post.
New help forum